Southeast Region Bidding Landscape – January 2013 – March 2013

Today we are going to take a look back at the bidding landscape for the Southeast region from January to March 2013. This includes the states of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. CDCNews reported on 4,335 construction projects that had a bid date between January 1st and March 31st. Of those 4,335 projects, 3,236 were bid by the public sector and 1,099 were private sector projects.

Of those 4,335 public projects, 940 were classified as General Building, 698 were Specialty Trades, 1,463 were Heavy/Highway and 487 were Sewer & Water projects. There is some overlap in the numbers since projects can fall into more than one classification.

southeastblpub1

Taking a look at the public sector by industry type we see that 50% were engineering projects. This was followed by Educational at 16%, General/Civil Joint Projects at 14% and Governmental at 11%. Of the 1,612 Engineering industry projects that bid in the region 57% were roadwork projects, 12% were sewer & water projects, 11% were for site work and 7% were bridge projects.

southeastblpub2

If we break the private sector down by industry type we find 74% of those private sector jobs were for the Retail Industry. The remaining industries combined accounted for 26% of the projects with the next highest being the Residential and Medical Industry at 6% and 5% respectively.

southeastblprivate

Of the 827 Retail industry projects 63% were for fit-outs and standalone retail stores. This was followed by fit-outs and standalone restaurants at 23%, gas stations, fit-outs and standalone automotive retail at 8% and grocery stores at 4%.

Following is a sampling of the projects that bid out during the first quarter of 2013 for the Southeast region:

Bids were received on February 1, 2013 for The Forum @ Tallahassee, a 261-unit apartment community that will sit on 20 acres. The project is being developed by Parkland Development Corporation out of Boca Raton, FL. Forum Architecture & Interior Design, Inc. was the architect on the project and CF Jordan Construction, LLC out of Dallas, TX is the general contractor on the project.

Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise a division of the Florida Department of Transportation received bids on February 5th, 2013 for widening and landscaping a section of the Veterans Expressway in Hillsborough County from four lanes to eight lanes. Sema Construction, Inc. out of Centennial, CO was the apparent low bidder with a bid of $57,400,000.

Bids were received on March 25th for the Wellstar Douglas Hospital Intensive Care Unit Expansion & Emergency Department Renovation in Douglasville, GA. The architect on the project was CDH Partners, Inc. and the hospital is owned by Wellstar Health System. Both companies are based out of Marietta, GA.

Gwinnett County Public Schools received bids on March 12th for the Berkmar/Central Cluster High School from prequalified general contractors. The project was designed by Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates, Inc. out of Atlanta. An award of $63.5 million was approved on March 21st for Carroll Daniel Construction Company out of Gainesville, GA to serve as the general contractor. Construction is expected to start in May.

Construction on a new Sam’s Club & Fuel Center in Mooresville, NC is underway. Bids were received on January 14th for the project designed by Raymond Harris & Associates Architects out of Dallas, TX. Cleveland Construction, Inc. out of Mentor, OH is the general contractor on the 136,000 SF project.

Appalachian State University received bids on March 19th for the Winkler Hall Renovation & Addition project. The project includes a 67,000 SF renovation of the 11-story residence hall along with a 10,000 SF, two-story addition. The architect on the project was PBC&L out of Asheville, NC and MLB Construction Services, LLC was the apparent low bidder on the project.

Construction is expected to start in early April for a new CVS Pharmacy on Main Street in Liberty, SC. The nearly 12,000 SF building is being developed by D & M Holdings Group out of Greenville, SC. Little Diversified Architectural Consulting, Inc. is the architect and Spell Construction out of Stedman, NC is the general contractor.

Coastal Carolina University received bids on February 14th for their Softball & Baseball Complex Improvements. Goodwyn, Mills & Caewood out of Greenville, SC were the designers of the project and Chancel Builders, Inc. out of Conway, SC chosen as the general contractor.

If you would like to learn more about currently bidding opportunities in your area, please visit us at www.cdcnews.com.

 

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply