As the national economy continues to slowly improve, industry outlooks and attitudes indicate recovery of the construction industry steadily continues. A quick comparison from CDI numbers from 3rd Quarter 2011 with the 3rd Quarter 2012 numbers indicate that overall optimism has increased as we look toward the next six months. Construction Data Company has released […]
- Architecture Billings Index Reports Solid Growth in August September 20, 2017Demand for design services continues to grow with August marking the seventh consecutive month of growth per the latest Architecture Billings Index (ABI) from the American Institute of Architects (AIA). August’s ABI score was 53.7, a nice jump from July’s score of 51.9. With the exception of January, all ABI scores this year have been […]
- ConstructConnect’s Hot Projects – September 18, 2017 September 18, 2017Listed below are ConstructConnect’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of September 11 – 15, 2017. Our Hot Projects showcases three currently bidding or sub-bidding projects from all 50 states and the District of Columbia pulled from our extensive database of construction leads. Alabama Enterprise Station Location: Enterprise, AL Building Use: Retail – Shopping […]
- 13 Mid-September Economic Nuggets September 18, 2017Hurricane Harvey, which first struck southern Texas on Saturday August 25, and Hurricane Irma, which reached landfall in the Florida Keys on Sunday September 10, will ‘muddy’ the economic statistics for months to come. Estimates of the physical damage range widely, with $200 billion as the current outer limit. Homes, shopping malls, schools, churches, fast-food […]
- Top 10 Largest Construction Project Starts in Canada and Trend Graph – August 2017 September 15, 2017The accompanying table records the 10 largest construction project starts in Canada in August 2017. Also included is the latest trend graph on starts. This looks at 12-month moving totals of the civil and nonresidential building categories in Canada. There are several reasons for highlighting upcoming large projects. Such jobs have often received a fair […]
- Hurricane Irma Collapses Cranes, Reigniting Debate Over Safety September 15, 2017Last Sunday, three tower cranes collapsed in South Florida as Hurricane Irma pummeled the state with heavy winds and rain. The first crane came down in Miami about an hour after Irma made landfall 110 miles southwest on Cudjoe Key on Sunday morning. The first crane to collapse was at the construction site for Vice, […]
Construction site theft is a major issue plaguing the construction industry. From building materials to tools to heavy equipment, construction site theft is an industry wide epidemic. In addition to the direct costs of replacing the stolen goods, there is also the indirect cost due to increased insurance premiums, rental costs to replace stolen equipment […]
About Our Blog
The mission of Construction Data’s Building Blocks Blog is to keep you informed by bringing you the latest news, insights, trends and legislation affecting the commercial construction industry. Our blog covers a wide range of topics from the most recent construction spending and employment data to the latest construction software, technology and apps to better run your business to construction safety tips to prevent accidents at the jobsite.
Our blog is home to the Construction Data Index (CDI), a premier user-based, forward-looking economic indicator for the commercial construction industry. This forecast tool reflects the future outlook of general contractors, subcontractors and building material suppliers. Our CDI survey polls industry professionals on how their commercial construction business is doing now relative to six months ago and how they see their business doing six months in the future. The CDI report is compiled quarterly to gauge the state of the commercial construction industry.
We also provide localized coverage of the commercial construction industry with our Hot Projects and our Bidding Landscapes series. Our weekly Hot Projects report showcases three of the most searched bidding and sub-bidding opportunities from each state in our coverage area by our clients in our Lead Manager database. Our Bidding Landscapes are compiled monthly and deliver an in-depth look at construction bidding in the various regions in our coverage area with breakdowns between publicly and privately funded projects and which industries are doing the most construction.