As the national economy continues to slowly improve, industry outlooks and attitudes indicate recovery of the construction industry steadily continues. A quick comparison from CDI numbers from 3rd Quarter 2011 with the 3rd Quarter 2012 numbers indicate that overall optimism has increased as we look toward the next six months. Construction Data Company has released […]
- 13 Mid-January Economic Nuggets January 17, 2018According to the ‘headline’ number (4.1%) released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the U.S. economy is now operating close to full employment. And there is widespread delight over the smorgasbord of tax cuts recently made available to corporations and individuals. In the stock markets, there are presently few curbs on the enthusiasm of […]
- 7 Winter Weather Construction Safety Tips January 17, 2018Construction doesn’t stop when winter weather strikes, so it’s important to know what steps to take to keep your workers warm and safe. As another major winter storm is starting to impact areas of the country this week with snow and ice accumulation, it’s a good time to review some safety tips for keeping your […]
- 20 Major Upcoming Oil & Gas and Electric Power & Communications Construction Projects – Canada – January 2018 January 15, 2018The accompanying table shows 20 of the largest upcoming Oil & Gas and Electric Power & Communications construction projects in Canada. They are all in the planning stage and are mainly new projects, but may also involve additions and/or alterations. Shopping centers, hotels, office buildings, medical buildings, educational buildings, government buildings, industrial projects, oil and […]
- 20 Major Upcoming Library and Museum Construction Projects – U.S. – January 2018 January 15, 2018The accompanying tables show 20 of the largest upcoming library and museum construction projects in the U.S. They are all in the planning stage and are mainly new projects, but may also involve additions and/or alterations. Shopping centers, hotels, office buildings, medical buildings, educational buildings, libraries and museums, sports and entertainment complexes, industrial projects and […]
- Top 10 Largest Construction Project Starts in Canada and Trend Graph – December 2017 January 15, 2018The accompanying table records the 10 largest construction project starts in Canada in December 2017. Also included is the latest trend graph on starts. This looks at 12-month moving totals of the civil and non-residential building categories in Canada. There are several reasons for highlighting upcoming large projects. Such jobs have often received a fair […]
Construction site theft is a major issue plaguing the construction industry. From building materials to tools to heavy equipment, construction site theft is an industry wide epidemic. In addition to the direct costs of replacing the stolen goods, there is also the indirect cost due to increased insurance premiums, rental costs to replace stolen equipment […]
About Our Blog
The mission of Construction Data’s Building Blocks Blog is to keep you informed by bringing you the latest news, insights, trends and legislation affecting the commercial construction industry. Our blog covers a wide range of topics from the most recent construction spending and employment data to the latest construction software, technology and apps to better run your business to construction safety tips to prevent accidents at the jobsite.
Our blog is home to the Construction Data Index (CDI), a premier user-based, forward-looking economic indicator for the commercial construction industry. This forecast tool reflects the future outlook of general contractors, subcontractors and building material suppliers. Our CDI survey polls industry professionals on how their commercial construction business is doing now relative to six months ago and how they see their business doing six months in the future. The CDI report is compiled quarterly to gauge the state of the commercial construction industry.
We also provide localized coverage of the commercial construction industry with our Hot Projects and our Bidding Landscapes series. Our weekly Hot Projects report showcases three of the most searched bidding and sub-bidding opportunities from each state in our coverage area by our clients in our Lead Manager database. Our Bidding Landscapes are compiled monthly and deliver an in-depth look at construction bidding in the various regions in our coverage area with breakdowns between publicly and privately funded projects and which industries are doing the most construction.