As the national economy continues to slowly improve, industry outlooks and attitudes indicate recovery of the construction industry steadily continues. A quick comparison from CDI numbers from 3rd Quarter 2011 with the 3rd Quarter 2012 numbers indicate that overall optimism has increased as we look toward the next six months. Construction Data Company has released […]
- Architecture Billings Index Bounces Back in February March 22, 2017After a slight decline in billings in January, the Architecture Billings Index (ABI) bounced back in February with a score of 50.7, according to the latest report from the American Institute of Architects. The ABI acts as a barometer future nonresidential construction spending and activity. The average lead time is nine months to a year […]
- Nonresidential Construction Starts Trend Graphs – February 2017 March 21, 2017Clichés are often true and it is the case that a picture can be worth a thousand words. Below are six graphs recording 12-month moving averages of ConstructConnect ’s nonresidential construction starts. When the value of the current month is higher than for the same month a year ago, the line will turn up; when […]
- Top 10 Project Starts in the U.S. – February 2017 March 21, 2017The accompanying table records the top 10 project starts in the U.S. for February 2017. There are several reasons for highlighting upcoming large projects. Such jobs have often received a fair amount of media coverage. Therefore, people in the industry are on the lookout for when jobsite work actually gets underway. And, as showcase projects, […]
- ConstructConnect’s -2% February Starts Almost Hold Their Ground March 21, 2017ConstructConnect announced today that February starts, excluding residential activity, nearly held their own versus an upwardly revised January. The latest month’s level of $26.2 billion was only -1.7% compared with the volume in the month before. Throughout the long-term history of the starts, there has been a typical drop – due to weather-related factors − […]
- Working With Women & Minority Business Enterprises in Construction March 21, 2017So, you’re a general contractor bidding a project and the contract requires an MBE participation goal of 8% and you aren’t sure where to turn. Maybe you’re a minority or woman owned company working in the realm of the construction industry and want to find more work. Today we’re going to look at some of […]
Construction site theft is a major issue plaguing the construction industry. From building materials to tools to heavy equipment, construction site theft is an industry wide epidemic. In addition to the direct costs of replacing the stolen goods, there is also the indirect cost due to increased insurance premiums, rental costs to replace stolen equipment […]
About Our Blog
The mission of Construction Data’s Building Blocks Blog is to keep you informed by bringing you the latest news, insights, trends and legislation affecting the commercial construction industry. Our blog covers a wide range of topics from the most recent construction spending and employment data to the latest construction software, technology and apps to better run your business to construction safety tips to prevent accidents at the jobsite.
Our blog is home to the Construction Data Index (CDI), a premier user-based, forward-looking economic indicator for the commercial construction industry. This forecast tool reflects the future outlook of general contractors, subcontractors and building material suppliers. Our CDI survey polls industry professionals on how their commercial construction business is doing now relative to six months ago and how they see their business doing six months in the future. The CDI report is compiled quarterly to gauge the state of the commercial construction industry.
We also provide localized coverage of the commercial construction industry with our Hot Projects and our Bidding Landscapes series. Our weekly Hot Projects report showcases three of the most searched bidding and sub-bidding opportunities from each state in our coverage area by our clients in our Lead Manager database. Our Bidding Landscapes are compiled monthly and deliver an in-depth look at construction bidding in the various regions in our coverage area with breakdowns between publicly and privately funded projects and which industries are doing the most construction.