As the national economy continues to slowly improve, industry outlooks and attitudes indicate recovery of the construction industry steadily continues. A quick comparison from CDI numbers from 3rd Quarter 2011 with the 3rd Quarter 2012 numbers indicate that overall optimism has increased as we look toward the next six months. Construction Data Company has released […]
- Taking Time – The Management Retreat November 21, 2017Making yourself step away from the day-to-day duties of running your construction business is hard to do. Not to mention taking the key members of your management team with you. And what if I said that you also needed to take some of the non-management personnel, members of your office and field staff, away for a half […]
- U.S. Southeast Region Has a Cast of City Stars November 20, 2017Among major cities in the southeastern United States, Nashville, true to its country music roots, is presently the star performer. In a ranking of the country’s 50 most populous metro areas, Nashville is number one for year-over-year jobs growth (+3.1%) and is second, behind Denver, for low unemployment rate (2.3%). Nashville’s labor market success is […]
- ConstructConnect’s Hot Projects – November 20, 2017 November 20, 2017Listed below are ConstructConnect’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of November 13 – 17, 2017. Our Hot Projects showcases three currently bidding or sub-bidding projects from all 50 states and the District of Columbia pulled from our extensive database of construction leads. Alabama Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame Carver Theater Abatement and Demolition […]
- Top 10 Largest Construction Project Starts in Canada and Trend Graph – October 2017 November 17, 2017The accompanying table records the 10 largest construction project starts in Canada in October 2017. Also included is the latest trend graph on starts. This looks at 12-month moving totals of the civil and non-residential building categories in Canada. There are several reasons for highlighting upcoming large projects. Such jobs have often received a fair […]
- 12 Mid-November Economic Nuggets – With a NAFTA Update Lead-In November 17, 2017Another round of NAFTA trade talks is getting underway and there remain some yawning chasms between the goals of the U.S., Canada and Mexico. The U.S. wants stricter ‘rules of origin’ to ensure there is more American content in manufactured goods, especially vehicles. It would also like to see Canada relax its supply management practices […]
Construction site theft is a major issue plaguing the construction industry. From building materials to tools to heavy equipment, construction site theft is an industry wide epidemic. In addition to the direct costs of replacing the stolen goods, there is also the indirect cost due to increased insurance premiums, rental costs to replace stolen equipment […]
About Our Blog
The mission of Construction Data’s Building Blocks Blog is to keep you informed by bringing you the latest news, insights, trends and legislation affecting the commercial construction industry. Our blog covers a wide range of topics from the most recent construction spending and employment data to the latest construction software, technology and apps to better run your business to construction safety tips to prevent accidents at the jobsite.
Our blog is home to the Construction Data Index (CDI), a premier user-based, forward-looking economic indicator for the commercial construction industry. This forecast tool reflects the future outlook of general contractors, subcontractors and building material suppliers. Our CDI survey polls industry professionals on how their commercial construction business is doing now relative to six months ago and how they see their business doing six months in the future. The CDI report is compiled quarterly to gauge the state of the commercial construction industry.
We also provide localized coverage of the commercial construction industry with our Hot Projects and our Bidding Landscapes series. Our weekly Hot Projects report showcases three of the most searched bidding and sub-bidding opportunities from each state in our coverage area by our clients in our Lead Manager database. Our Bidding Landscapes are compiled monthly and deliver an in-depth look at construction bidding in the various regions in our coverage area with breakdowns between publicly and privately funded projects and which industries are doing the most construction.