(Vero Beach, Fla. – February 8, 2013) — To help its commercial construction users turn warm leads into signed contracts, commercial construction leads provider CDCNews has upgraded its popular Lead Manger™ tool with two new applications — My Data Export™ and Invitation To Bid Pro™. Both features allow for the integration of CDCNews’ data with […]
- Resolving Conflicts on the Construction Site August 16, 2017Conflicts on the construction site are a common occurrence. Disputes and disagreements are going to arise when you have multiple parties such as general contractors, owners, architects, subcontractors working together to complete a project. These stakeholders have different opinions and interpretations on how things are supposed to be done. Those differing opinions often lead to […]
- Commercial Construction Starts Trend Graphs – July 2017 August 14, 2017Clichés are often true and it is the case that a picture can be worth a thousand words. Below are six graphs recording 12-month moving averages of ConstructConnect’s commercial construction starts. When the value of the current month is higher than for the same month a year ago, the line will turn up; when lower, […]
- Top 10 Construction Project Starts in the U.S. – July 2017 August 14, 2017The accompanying table records the top 10 project starts in the U.S. for July 2017. There are several reasons for highlighting upcoming large projects. Such jobs have often received a fair amount of media coverage. Therefore, people in the industry are on the lookout for when jobsite work actually gets underway. And, as showcase projects, […]
- ConstructConnect’s YTD Starts +1% after July’s Retreat of -14% August 14, 2017ConstructConnect today announced a July volume of construction starts, excluding homebuilding activity, that amounted to $30.8 billion. July’s nonresidential total was -13.8% versus the comparable sum in June. The usual June-to-July change, due to seasonality, is +3.5%. July of this year versus July of last year was also weak, -17.6%. Standalone July of this year […]
- A Trio of Provinces Shine in an Array of Canadian Labour Market Statistics August 14, 2017PEI, BC, and Quebec Show Growth in Canadian Labour Market On the heels of outstanding month-to-month jobs growth nation-wide in June (+45,000) and May (+55,000), July’s increase was comparatively subdued, at only +11,000 according to the latest Labour Force Survey report published by Statistics Canada. An especially sweet note for Canada in July, however, was […]
Despite a typical seasonal decline in bids for projects like roadwork and sewer and water, the bidding landscape for January 2013 in the Northeast region offered many opportunities. This region covers the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. CDCNews reported on 1,803 construction projects that […]
Reverse auction bidding is an alternative contracting method that has been hotly debated over the past decade. A reverse auction works in much the same way as a traditional auction. In a traditional auction you have multiple buyers driving the cost up in order to have the highest bid, whereas in a reverse auction an […]
For centuries, technological advances have allowed the construction industry to develop stronger, cheaper and more durable building materials. These days, factors like sustainability, transportability and functionality are driving manufacturers to create innovative building materials. Imagine an office building whose exterior can clean the air around it or sidewalks that repair themselves when they are cracked. […]
With Congress not reaching an agreement to avoid the fiscal cliff until the eleventh hour, optimism for improvement in the construction industry for the first half of 2013 shrank compared to the previous quarter. Other industry indicators from 4th Quarter 2012 forecast growth for commercial construction in 2013. Construction Data Company has released the 4th […]
So you’re a general contractor bidding a project and you realize that the contract requires an MBE participation goal of 8% and aren’t sure where to turn. Maybe you’re a minority or woman owned company working in the realm of the construction industry and want to find more work. Today we’re going to take a […]
CDCNews doubles sales of online commercial construction plans, adds new markets (Vero Beach, Fla. – January 8, 2013) CDCNews Total Access Plans Online™ now serves clients in 19 states, plus Washington, D.C., with comprehensive, up-to-the-minute, verified bid information on commercial construction projects in their area. Total Access Plans Online is designed to save contractors time […]
Today we are going to take a look back at the bidding landscape for Southeast region during the month of September 2012. This includes the states of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. CDCNews reported on 1,057 construction projects that bid during the previous month. Of those 1,057 projects, 725 were bid by the […]
There has been quite a bit of uncertainty in the transportation construction industry over the past few years. The Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) was a bill to provide funding and authorization for federal surface transportation projects. The SAFETEA-LU law was enacted on August 10, 2005 and expired […]
Cleanup efforts in the wake of Superstorm Sandy are already well underway. A federal grant from the United States Department of Labor of nearly $47 million has been made available to hire unemployed workers in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island to assist in cleanup and reconstruction activities. FEMA is replacing out-of-state workers […]
Today we are going to take a look back at the construction bidding landscape for the Mid-Atlantic region during the month of November 2012. This region covers the states of Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. CDCNews reported on 1,264 construction projects that bid during the previous month. […]
The bidding landscape for the month of October 2012 in the Northeast region was full of activity. This region covers the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. CDCNews reported on 2,206 construction projects that bid during October in this region. Public sector bids accounted for […]
Rand Construction Corporation is an award-winning commercial general contractor headquartered in Washington, DC and has annual revenues exceeding $263 million. The company was founded by Linda Rabbitt in 1989, who also serves as the company’s CEO, and is the second largest woman-owned construction company in the United States. Jon Couch is president of Rand and […]
Today we are going to take a look back at the bidding landscape for Southeast region during the month of September 2012. This includes the states of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. CDCNews reported on 1,225 construction projects that bid during the previous month. Of those 1,225 projects, 945 were bid by the […]
Today we are going to take a look back at the bidding landscape for the Mid-Atlantic region during the month of September 2012. This region covers the states of Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. CDCNews reported on 1,465 construction projects that bid during the previous month. Of […]
About Our Blog
The mission of Construction Data’s Building Blocks Blog is to keep you informed by bringing you the latest news, insights, trends and legislation affecting the commercial construction industry. Our blog covers a wide range of topics from the most recent construction spending and employment data to the latest construction software, technology and apps to better run your business to construction safety tips to prevent accidents at the jobsite.
Our blog is home to the Construction Data Index (CDI), a premier user-based, forward-looking economic indicator for the commercial construction industry. This forecast tool reflects the future outlook of general contractors, subcontractors and building material suppliers. Our CDI survey polls industry professionals on how their commercial construction business is doing now relative to six months ago and how they see their business doing six months in the future. The CDI report is compiled quarterly to gauge the state of the commercial construction industry.
We also provide localized coverage of the commercial construction industry with our Hot Projects and our Bidding Landscapes series. Our weekly Hot Projects report showcases three of the most searched bidding and sub-bidding opportunities from each state in our coverage area by our clients in our Lead Manager database. Our Bidding Landscapes are compiled monthly and deliver an in-depth look at construction bidding in the various regions in our coverage area with breakdowns between publicly and privately funded projects and which industries are doing the most construction.