Falls are the leading cause of construction worker deaths every year. In 2014, falls accounted for nearly 40%, 349 of 874, of all worker fatalities in construction. Take our Fall Protection Quiz to test your knowledge on fall safety. After you finish the quiz, let us know how you did in the comments section.
- Top 10 Largest Construction Project Starts in Canada and Trend Graph – October 2017 November 17, 2017The accompanying table records the 10 largest construction project starts in Canada in October 2017. Also included is the latest trend graph on starts. This looks at 12-month moving totals of the civil and non-residential building categories in Canada. There are several reasons for highlighting upcoming large projects. Such jobs have often received a fair […]
- 12 Mid-November Economic Nuggets – With a NAFTA Update Lead-In November 17, 2017Another round of NAFTA trade talks is getting underway and there remain some yawning chasms between the goals of the U.S., Canada and Mexico. The U.S. wants stricter ‘rules of origin’ to ensure there is more American content in manufactured goods, especially vehicles. It would also like to see Canada relax its supply management practices […]
- Section 199 Deduction and the Construction Industry November 17, 2017The holiday season is upon us: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day and Tax Return Preparation! All over the land, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) are busy updating their software, familiarizing themselves with the new laws and restocking their liquor cabinets. The recent tax reform proposals add special excitement, bringing new provisions and removing some old ones. […]
- Architecture Billings Get Back on Track in October November 15, 2017The Architecture Billings Index (ABI) got back on track in October with a score of 51.7 to reflect an increase in billings after a slight bump in the road the previous month. September’s score of 49.1 was the first time demand for design services had contracted since January 2017. For the ABI, scores above 50 […]
- Boost Your Construction Firm’s Marketing Efforts, Answer These 4 Questions November 14, 2017Do you remember the last job you lost to a competitor? I remember mine vividly because, despite my best efforts, I simply could not convince my prospect to choose my company. No matter how much evidence I presented, they remained unswayed. While sometimes there’s nothing we can do, more often than not, there is, and […]
The January Architecture Billings Index (ABI) score of 49.6 reflects a slight decrease in demand for design services to start the year. This is a bit of a letdown after finishing out 2015 with a score of 50.9 in December that was revised up to 51.3. The revision is due to the American Institute of […]
Listed below are Construction Data’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of February 8 – 12, 2016. Our Hot Projects showcases three projects from each state in our coverage area and are a combination of the most viewed projects in Construction Data’s Construction Lead Manager+ database by our customers. Alabama The Orthopedic Center Renovation […]
For the first time in 25 years, the maximum fines for OSHA violations are set to significantly increase this year. A provision in the budget bill passed by Congress and signed into law by President Obama last year included a provision in the “Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act Improvements Act of 2015” that would […]
A recent survey by ARC Document Solutions on emerging technologies in the AEC industry revealed that 65.3% of respondents indicated virtual reality would be the next big technology trend. (The use of drones for surveying and project documentation was second at 61.9%.) The top two benefits of virtual reality use cited were easier visualization of […]
Listed below are Construction Data’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of February 1 – 5, 2016. Our Hot Projects showcases three projects from each state in our coverage area and are a combination of the most viewed projects in Construction Data’s Construction Lead Manager+ database by our customers. Alabama ALDOT West Central Regional […]
The latest Employment Situation report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics was released this morning and the construction industry added 18,000 jobs in January. This is a bit of a letdown since the industry added an impressive 146,000 jobs during the final quarter of 2015. October (33,000), November (65,000) and December (48,000) for nearly half […]
Great News! As we predicted for most of last year, total value of construction put in place (CPIP) for 2015 was $1,097.3 billion, surpassing the $1 trillion mark for the first time since 2008 when it hit $1,077.4 billion. This is a 10.5% increase over the 2014 CPIP which was $993.4 billion. Based on the latest […]
Listed below are Construction Data’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of January 25 – 29, 2016. Our Hot Projects showcases three projects from each state in our coverage area and are a combination of the most viewed projects in Construction Data’s Construction Lead Manager database by our customers. Alabama O’Reilly Auto Parts Relocation […]
Imagine walking onto a construction site to find a fleet of bulldozers, graders and excavators doing site prep without any operators behind the controls. Upon closer inspection, you notice some of the equipment is cab-less with no manual controls. The operators might be standing at a safe distance operating the machine remotely. Maybe the equipment […]
Listed below are Construction Data’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of January 18 – 22, 2016. Our Hot Projects showcases three projects from each state in our coverage area and are a combination of the most viewed projects in Construction Data’s Construction Lead Manager database by our customers. Alabama Hilton Garden Inn & […]
Coming off of one the best years for construction in recent history, 2016 is shaping up to be even better. Construction is expected to grow by 8 to 9% this year and architecture billings were strong throughout last year which means construction activity should be solid in 2016. This has also been confirmed based on […]
After slipping below 50 in November, the Architecture Billings Index (ABI) finished out the year back in positive territory with a score of 50.9 for December. This past year was definitely up and down for design demand often with decreases in demand coming on the heels of consecutive months of strong score. The average ABI […]
Listed below are Construction Data’s Hot Commercial Construction Projects for the week of January 11 – 15, 2016. Our Hot Projects showcases three projects from each state in our coverage area and are a combination of the most viewed projects in Construction Data’s Construction Lead Manager database by our customers. Alabama Central High School Addition […]
A new year brings a new list of construction trends to watch for in 2016. This is the third year we’ve compiled a top trends list and two of the mainstays every year are growth and technology. 2016 will be the fourth consecutive year of construction spending growth and we should be fully back to […]
About Our Blog
The mission of Construction Data’s Building Blocks Blog is to keep you informed by bringing you the latest news, insights, trends and legislation affecting the commercial construction industry. Our blog covers a wide range of topics from the most recent construction spending and employment data to the latest construction software, technology and apps to better run your business to construction safety tips to prevent accidents at the jobsite.
Our blog is home to the Construction Data Index (CDI), a premier user-based, forward-looking economic indicator for the commercial construction industry. This forecast tool reflects the future outlook of general contractors, subcontractors and building material suppliers. Our CDI survey polls industry professionals on how their commercial construction business is doing now relative to six months ago and how they see their business doing six months in the future. The CDI report is compiled quarterly to gauge the state of the commercial construction industry.
We also provide localized coverage of the commercial construction industry with our Hot Projects and our Bidding Landscapes series. Our weekly Hot Projects report showcases three of the most searched bidding and sub-bidding opportunities from each state in our coverage area by our clients in our Lead Manager database. Our Bidding Landscapes are compiled monthly and deliver an in-depth look at construction bidding in the various regions in our coverage area with breakdowns between publicly and privately funded projects and which industries are doing the most construction.