There are thousands of mobile apps on the market geared toward the commercial construction industry that can handle everything from bid management to plan viewing to performing estimating calculations. There are even apps available that can turn your mobile device into a digital measuring tape and level. Since ensuring worker safety should be the number one concern at every commercial construction jobsite we’ve put together a list of safety apps available on smartphones and tablets.
1. iAuditor by SafetyCulture allows you to perform paperless audits and safety inspections. The app allows you to create your own templates or choose from thousands of user-shared templates to fit the safety demands of any type of construction site. The app also allows you to sign-off and email created reports. The app is free to download and available for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
2. SafetyNet by Predictive Solutions is a free app for existing customers. The app helps conduct safety inspections at the jobsite and collect safety observations which are then synced back with the SafetyNet web application that will analyze the data to predict the likelihood, location and frequency of a jobsite injury to allow you to take action to prevent accidents. This app is available for Android devices, Blackberry devices and for the iPhone and iPad.
3. Safety Meeting App was developed to allow contractors to easily conduct safety meeting at any jobsite. The app covers over 750 safety meeting topics and allows for unlimited users and storage to record incidents and accidents, date stamp and save meetings, and record disciplinary actions. The app covers a number of trade types and can be used by general contractors, sub-contractors and specialty/trade contractors and meets OSHA’s required meeting laws. The app is available for Apple and Android devices. Monthly, annually and a three-year pricing is available.
4. SmoothAudit Construction Safety 29 CFR 1926 by Tekk Innovations, LLC is a safety audit helper based on OSHA’s construction safety standards that allows you to save and email reports as well as integrating photos into the report. The app is currently available for iPhone and iPad for a fee of $19.95.
5. Safety-Reports by iNet Solutions Group, Inc. is a companion app for Safety-Reports.com customers. The inspection data collection system contains compliance-driven checklists to generate reports. You can select from 22 pre-loaded construction and general industry OSHA standards and safety categories with multiple inspection items both of which are customizable. Safety observations are automatically updated and reports are auto-generated. The subscription based service is available for Android and iOS devices.
6. Field ID provides cloud-based safety and inspection software and offers a host of solutions including GPS capturing, reporting, email notifications, lockout/tagouts, inspections and audits, RFID tracking and scheduling. You can capture defects and deficiencies in equipment as well as jobsites. Field ID is a comprehensive safety compliance solution. The mobile app requires a FieldID.com account is compatible with iOS and Android devices. The service is available for a monthly fee.
7. SiteDocs is a comprehensive jobsite safety management tool that allows you to manage, document and track all aspects of your safety program from inspections, to disciplinary action to safety meetings to keeping track of training and certifications. It also features a GPS services locator to help you find the nearest hospital, clinic, fire department, etc. to your commercial construction jobsite. The app is currently available for the iPhone in a free, lite version and for the iPad for a full-service, cloud-based solution that is fully customizable and scaleable to meet your needs.
8. NIOSH Ladder Safety App is an interactive app that assists in properly positioning an extension ladder at the correct angle for safe use. The app also features safety guidelines and checklists for proper extension ladder use and is 508 compliant. This free app is available for iOS and Android devices.
9. OSHA Heat Safety Tool calculates the heat index at your jobsite and displays the risk level for outdoor workers. The app allows you to set reminders about measures to take to prevent heat-related illnesses. It also provides training to help identify and monitor the symptoms of heat-related illnesses. The free app is available for the iPhone and Android smartphones.
10. OSHA Audit 29 CFR 1926 by Noble Canary allows users to conduct a full 1926 construction safety audit. Safety violations can easily be documents with notes and photos. Reports are automatically generated after completion of an audit which can then be saved or emailed. Priced at $99.99 the app is available for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices.